JK Lawyers has a wealth of experience in family law matters having practised in this area for over 20 years.

Separation may be confusing and uncertain. We pride ourselves with being able to listen with empathy, without judgement and to explain your rights in a simple but informative manner.

We are committed to preparing the best strategy for the best outcome for you. It gives us great satisfaction to see our clients confident and assured after the first consultation.

We have worked on a whole range of property matters, and can help with small asset pools to complex matters involving more than $20 million in assets.

Your best interests are our priority. We are compassionate when it comes to dealing with children's matters. We can help with matters involving contact arrangements, and even litigation for sole parenting.

You are not a number. Your circumstances are unique. We are competent, hard-working and results oriented. Every matter is unique and no matter is too small or too large for our representation.

Our office is located in Notting Hill (Clayton), Victoria.

We understand that many family law issues can be stressful and emotionally taxing. JK Lawyers has a team of trained family lawyers in Melbourne who will work to find the best solution for your family in a time of need. From amicable divorce settlements to spousal and child support arrangements, we will work around the clock and approach our clients with care.

Talk to us for family law advice in Melbourne. We can take care of all the legal aspects of your issues, so you can focus on healing and stability in a difficult time.


Many separations, divorces, and family matters involve people who are amicable towards one another. This raises the question, “Do I really need a lawyer for this?”

However, no matter how good relations are right now in your family, negotiating issues of property, custody, and separation can quickly become heated. More often than not, these issues are much too complicated to entrust to informal agreements.

By hiring a family lawyer, you will get another perspective that will prevent you from making disadvantageous choices based on heightened emotions. Our lawyers will present the best options for every stage of your case, taking great care to protect your family’s relationships in the process. We balance legal skill with empathy – that’s what sets our firm apart.


At every stage, we are fully equipped to handle complex matters of property, family law, and litigation. The legal victory we seek for clients is one that protects their families and maximizes their interests. Rest assured that we are ready to examine all the legal aspects of your situation and advise you on the best course of action.

After an initial consultation, we will take the steps necessary to solve your family law problems. Here are some of the legal matters where our family lawyers in Melbourne can help.

  • Divorce and separation
  • Child support, custody, and maintenance
  • Spousal support
  • Property settlements and asset protection for de facto, separated, and same-sex couples
  • Mediation and negotiation
  • Domestic violence
  • Family court proceedings

These are just some of the many matters that we’ve successfully handled for our clients. If you don’t see your particular concern here, inquire with us and we’ll help you as best as we can.

JK Lawyers has a team of skilled family lawyers in Melbourne’s Eastern Suburbs. Consult us before making any settlements involving your family! We can protect you and your interests, especially during such a tumultuous period.


Questions we can answer:

  • How do I apply for child support?
  • What if my child support payments are not enough?
  • What if my spouse and I have a verbal agreement on child support?


Questions we can answer:

  • What is a de facto relationship?
  • How do I protect my interests in a de facto relationship?
  • Before the relationship
  • During the relationship
  • After break down of the relationship


Questions we can answer:

  • How do I apply for divorce?
  • What if I have lived in the same house after separation?
  • What if my spouse is overseas?
  • What if I cannot contact my spouse?


Questions we can answer:

  • What is family violence?
  • Who do I contact if I have been subject to domestic violence?
  • What can I do to protect my children from domestic violence?
  • What is an intervention order?
  • How do I contest an application for an intervention order made against me?


The law and the courts are interested in ensuring the best interests of the children are given priority, especially in terms of their care welfare and development. Parties to a marriage or de facto relationship can resolve issues over children amicably and then put something in writing to confirm the terms of their agreement. If parties cannot agree, then application to court can be made to obtain parenting orders, either by consent of the parties, or after going through the court process.

At JK Lawyers we empathise with parents, and even grandparents, who may have competing requirements regarding children. We have assisted clients with many types of children’s issues, ranging from parents who want to spend regular or more time with their children, sole parenting rights, locate children who have been removed from the family home, placed or removed children’s name on the Airport watch list.

Questions we can answer:

  • What is the law in relation to parental responsibility?
  • How do I negotiate contact arrangements for my child with my spouse?
  • What if I think my child is at risk of neglect or abuse?
  • What is supervised contact?
  • What about sole parenting?
  • What if I want to prevent my child from being taken overseas (eg Airport Watchlist)?


The Family Law Act and or the courts that deal with the division of assets between partners in a relationship will ensure that the end result has met with the fundamental principles of justice, fairness and equity. When a spousal relationship has broken down, the distribution of assets and property of the parties can be resolved by agreement, court orders, and if not amicably, then parties can make application to the court for decision.

The several lawyers at JK Lawyers that work on Family Law cases are thorough and results oriented in their representation of the best interests of clients. We are able to evaluate the background, current circumstances and future needs early, propose a strategy for the best possible outcome, then walk clients through the resolution process with a high standard of professional courtesy and diligence.

Questions we can answer:

  • What makes up the asset pool?
  • What debts need to be taken into account (eg tax debts)?
  • What about personal loans and gifts from family?
  • How is superannuation split?
  • What if I suspect that my spouse is hiding assets (in Australia or overseas)?
  • What about gambling losses?
  • What if I had property prior to the relationship?
  • What if I have made non-financial contributions to our house?
  • What about my homemaker contributions?
  • What about my future needs?
  • What is a financial agreement?
  • Before marriage
  • During marriage
  • After a divorce order is made
  • Is my financial agreement valid?
  • What is the difference between financial agreement and an application for consent orders?
  • What is the difference between an application for consent orders and starting court action?


Many people are not aware that when a marriage or de facto relationship breaks down, one spouse may have the responsibility to maintain the other for a short period or a long period of time, depending on the circumstances. Such issues are considered when working out the scope of maintenance, including income, expenses, assets, liabilities.

Over 20 years of experience has enable the lawyers at JK Lawyers to accumulate understanding of a whole variety of relationships and circumstances, such that we are versatile and agile in our abilities to assist clients with their spouse maintenance applications.

Questions we can answer:

  • What is spouse maintenance?
  • What if I am the primary carer of the children?
  • What if I cannot find employment?


Taking the next step and contacting a lawyer can be scary. Our lawyers will make you feel comfortable so you can talk about your matter with ease.